Stay Well @ Home
by Emma Ralph from Stay Well @ Home
We are pleased to announce that the Stay Well@ Home Team will be presenting at this year’s ‘I’m a patient, get me out of here’ event. We thought it would be useful to give you a flavour of our exciting new service model before the event. But to truly hear about the fabulous work that the team are undertaking, please join us at one of the workshops that we will be hosting in both South and North Wales.
SW@H is a new and innovative way of working, where partners across Cwm Taf University Health Board, Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr Tydfil Country Borough Councils have joined forces to create a truly integrated way of working together to support those being discharged from hospital.
How do we do this? We are an integrated, multidisciplinary hospital based team made up of Assistant Therapy Practitioners, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and Social Workers, whose primary focus is to either prevent individuals being admitted to hospital unnecessarily by providing early assessments in our A&E departments, but we also work to reduce an individuals overall length of stay by completing timely and robust ‘person focussed’ assessments and through using community based services to support someone in their own home rather than a hospital bed.
What’s new about this? Well, we work across 7 days, 12 hour shifts patterns but more importantly, we have enhanced our community based services across health and social care, such as the RCTCBC Support@Home and CTUHB @Home nursing service who also provide a 4 hour response and work across 7 days in order to provide robust support to individuals upon their discharge home. In a nutshell, we can deliver the following:
- Through the development of the ‘Trusted Assessor role’ we can set up packages of support within a 4 hour time frame, 7 days per week
- Rapid community response services to support the hospital based team (both health and social care)
- Restart or increased packages of care to facilitate discharge to home, 7 days per week
- We utilise a variety of problem solving options at A & E (including third sector services)
- Everyone discharged home via us will have a individualised review of their needs within a 14 day period
Come and join us at our workshops where we will be talking through some real life cases and discussing how this model of practice has improved the quality of the services provided. #noplacelikehome #rightcareattherighttimeintherigthplace #personattheheart